The mission of Young Horizons Child Development Centers is to provide
quality childcare and preschool programs in a caring, loving and learning environment.
- Caring Attitude: Compassionate support and concern to our children and their families.
- Commitment: YH is committed to providing a high quality experience to all our children and their families.
- Compassion: We understand and honor children’s and parents’ needs through kindness and empathy.
- Diversity: Reflects the racial diversity of Long Beach. We honor the many ethnic backgrounds and cultures.
- Age Appropriate: Our program is designed to meet the child’s individual stages of development.
- Individualized support: We seek to understand the individual child and create the right supports for each child’s development.
- Respect: YH honors the parent as the child’s first teacher. We encourage each parent to take the leadership role.
- Responsiveness: Seek solutions to meet the needs of our children and families through direct services or referrals, if needed.
- Advocacy: YH educates the public and advocates for long-term best interest of young children and their families.
- Community: We engage in the community to provide a full breadth of services to our families.
- Integrity/Accountability: YH maintains the highest level of integrity and transparency in its administrative, service, and outreach activities.
- Partnerships: Partnering with a wide variety of advocates and like-minded services brings an added dimension to YH.
The philosophy of Young Horizons Child Development Centers is based upon a set of strongly held beliefs:
- We believe that the child’s development is enhanced in partnership with the home, school and community. We respect parents as the most significant adults in a child’s life. We encourage open communication between parents and center staff.
- We believe that children learn best in a positive atmosphere designed to foster a sense of self-esteem. Our teachers create a relaxed, nurturing environment that offers aspects of home and school. The curriculum is developmentally appropriate.
- We believe each child is a special and unique individual. We recognize that young children are action oriented and learn by hands-on experiences. Our program is designed to develop and integrate the five selves: physical, cognitive, social, creative, and emotional. We provide opportunities to develop self-confidence, autonomy, initiative and cooperative relationships. We promote understanding and respect for the child’s cultural heritage.